Wednesday, June 6, 2007

Day 7 in Bali

My last 2 days in paradise, worked up to do a Yoga session with the inhouse Yoga teacher, pretty intense!

After the lovely breakfast, it was time for a little touristy stuff to do in Tejakula, just a small little town.

Visited a publich bath area, saw the unique blacksand cement which gave the architecture alittle bit more "gothic" feel i guess..

Also went to see some traditional weaving by the locals and au natural dying...pretty cool! Totally natural stuff!
















The owner of this business used to be in the hotel industry and set up a school for underprivileged kids. He gladly brought me there to take a look and I was impressed by his efforts and committment to the town. He of course had very kind sponsors from Netherlands who assisted in cash and kind. He welcomed me to come and help out at the school, teach English, IT or anything anytime I wanted to and I would like to come back one day soon..

Next up was to check out their local "delicacy"..arak or fermented palm juice. I was driven into the forest (like some hidden illegal site) and a group of locals were just chilling out and drinking their arak and basically distilling their own fruit, small business they have there :)


All in all, pretty decadent and I took a sip to give face to the locals..power stuff!
Got back in time for lunch and met 2 new friends. Basically, Anna (Austrian) and Yen (Malaysian). Yen used to be in the rat race, loving her job, working really hard and making lots of $, but not having the time for herself really. She decided to do something quite different and spent a number of years in the Kalimantan Forests, dealing in anti-logging activities, replanting of trees etc. She is now at Gaia to do a feasibilitystudy for an environment project for Gaia. It was really cool talking to her, and she ended of by telling me..."Follow Where Your Heart Sings!" How true isn't it? Most people follow our brains, like what our skills are etc..Well, I guess its a fine balance of both!
I went for my massage, borrowed a couple of books (all very awesome!) and enjoyed my last night...

No comments: